Writings of the general word's body

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Dayo Forster on 'Reading the Ceiling'


Dayo Forster discusses her novel, Reading the Ceiling, in an interview with me
"The first goal in writing is a readable story that the reader can be immersed in. That’s what I like about a book: you can lose yourself in it. I also wanted to experiment – that’s why I pursued the three lives idea for Ayodele. I wanted to convey the idea that in life, there are choices. The experiment kept me going. What will filter through is a very Krio way of growing up. It was written out of nostalgia – I hadn’t been to The Gambia since the age of 18. As for messages, I didn’t think it was my role to do that. My role was to explore a world, in the hope that the mystery would be transmitted to the reader."




Author's image: MW

No comments: