Writings of the general word's body

Sunday, February 04, 2007

New Read

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's newly published short story, Cell One, is in The New Yorker. A girl narrator wonders if her wayward but cool brother is a member of a school cult, then he is arrested.

Excerpt
Nnamabia smiled, his face more beautiful than ever, despite the new pimple-like insect bite on his forehead, and said that he had slipped his money into his anus shortly after the arrest. He knew the policemen would take it if he didn't hide it, and he knew that he would need it to buy his peace in the cell. My parents said nothing for a while. I imagined Nnamabia rolling hundred-naira notes into a thin cigarette shape and then reaching into the back of his trousers to slip them into himself. Later, as we drove back to Nsukka, my father said, "This is what I should have done when he stole your jewelry. I should have had him locked up in a cell."

Read on...

No comments: