Writings of the general word's body

Thursday, January 28, 2010

JD Salinger, 1919 - 2010


"If you really want to hear about it the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born. What my lousy childhood was like. And how my parents were occupied and all before they had me. And all that David Copperfield kind of crap. But I don't feel like going into it, if you really want to know the truth".
--Opening lines, 'The Catcher in the Rye'
*
"I'm aware that a number of my friends will be saddened, or shocked, or shocked-saddened, over some of the chapters of The Catcher in the Rye. Some of my best friends are children. In fact all of my best friends are children. It's almost unbearable to me to realise that my book will be kept on a shelf out of their reach."
--JD Salinger, b. 1 January 1919; d. 27 January 2010

  • An aside on the business of Obit-writing; The UK Guardian has an obituary on Salinger, penned by a writer who died some seven years before him, here.

2 comments:

Waffarian said...

How weird...to be expected to die...


Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh

Chris Ogunlowo said...

He was a great guy. I admire more for his eccentricity. He never allowed fame to affect his craft. Stuff of a genius.