Writings of the general word's body

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Flora Nwapa's Blue Lake










I read Flora Nwapa's books Efuru and Idu as a child and I was fascinated by her descriptions of a blue lake. Last year, I visited relatives in Ogwashi Uku, Delta State. My uncle took me to see many of the different rivers and lakes surrounding Ogwashi. This reawakened a desire to see Flora Nwapa's blue lake, Lake Oguta. After some arm-twisting on my part, a few days later, I set out for Imo State with 3 others in my uncle's old 504. We arrived at the lake and it was even more beautiful than I'd imagined. Since we were in Oguta I felt I had to pay my respects to the woman who opened doors for many African women writers. We visited the Nwakuche compound and although none of the family were home, the groundskeeper listened to the story of how we came to Oguta and let us see the grounds and take a picture of Flora Nwapa's final resting place.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post. Njideka Nwapa, Flora's niece is also a writer.